| 2000年荆州市高中（中专）招生考试英语试题 |
1. A. Her mother is a worker. B. Her mother is a teacher.
C. Her mother is a doctor.
2. A. Tom doesn't like eggs at all. B. eggs are Tom's favourite food.
C. Tom usually has gees for breakfast.
3. A. He always gets to school before class begins.
B. He doesn't like school very much.
A. Sometimes he leaves school very late.
4. A. I went to the party first, and then, the cinema.
B. I went to the party, not the cinema.
C. I didn't go to the party, instead, I went to the cinema.
5. A. We arrived at two o'clock. B. We arrived after two o'clock.
C. We arrived before two o'clock.
6. A. It's Sunday. B. It's July 4. C. It's a rainy day.
7. A. She did it very well B. She lost her watch. C. She was ill in bed.
8. What should the man say to the woman?
A. Never mind. B. I'm sorry to hear that. C. Thank you all the same.
9. What happened to the man?
A. His bike was broken. B. He was badly hurt. C. He went home without his bike.
10. Who is the best player?
A. John and Tom. B. Tom and Jack. C. John and Jack.
11. What is Jim going to do?
A. To make some dumplings. B. to buy some vegetables. C. To learn how to cook.
12. When did Jim have dumplings?
A. Yesterday. B. This morning. C. Last Saturday.
13. What does Ann want to do?
A. To learn to make dumplings B. To go to the market.
B. To make some cakes for Jim.
14. What does the passage tell us about?
A. A day on the farm. B. Hard-working farmers. C. A wonderful picnic.
15. What does the passage NOT tell us?
A. Going to the farm very early. B. Having a good time on the farm.
C. Doing farm work in the fields.
16. — Is this book yours?
— No, it's his. ______ is in _______bag.
A. Mine, my B. My, mine C. Mine, mine D. My, my
17. — Here is a letter for you, Mrs Brown.
A. Please give it to me B. Thanks a lot C. Yes, it's mine D. With pleasure
18. — Do we need to get some water?
— Yes. We have only _______ let, not enough for a whole day.
A. few B. a few C. little D. al little
19. The foreigners here all like Chinese food, ________?
A. do they B. don't they C. does he D. doesn't he
20. — How _______ do you watch TV?
— Once a week.
A. far B. long C. often D. soon
21. In some countries, they us computers to ________ the traffic urnnign in a better way.
A. help B. keep C. make D. let
22. — Did Han Meimei pick a lot of apples?
— Yes. She picked _______ than any of us.
A. many more B. much more C. the most D. the most of all
23. Tomorrow is_______ Day. I'll make a card for our English teacher.
A. Teacher's B. the Teacher's C. teachers' D. the Teachers'
24. — Let's go out and play basketball for a while.
A. It's very kind of you B. It doesn't matter C. That's a good idea D. You're welcome
25. _______ trees have been planted these years.
A. Million B. Millions C. Million of D. Millions of
26. — How soon will you finish the work?
— It'll ________ me at least two days, I think.
A. take B. pay C. cost D. spend
27. There were so many TV sets in the shop that my father couldn't decide _____- to buy.
A. which B. what C. where D.how
28. ________- smoke _______- high into the air form the factory chimneys.
A. strong, moved B. Strong, rose C. Heavy, moved D. Heavy, rose
29. — They say John has been in London. ________ that be true?
— It _______- be true, because I saw him in the office half an hour ago.
A. May, may not B. Can, can't C. May, can't D. Can, may not
30. The population of the world in 20th century became very much________than that in 19th.
A. bigger B. greater C. larger D. more
31. Li Lei says that he ______- the Great Wall next month.
A. visits B. will visit C. visited D. has visited
32. — Why do you go to work on foot________? That doesn't seem to save your time.
— To get more exercise and keep healthy.
A. all the time B. at times C. from time to time D. at the same time
33. — Do you know where the other children are?
— Yes. They ________ games on the playground.
A. play B. will play C. have played D. are playing
34. Kathy opened Tom's letter by mistake,________.
A. and she had an excuse B. having some excuses
C.but she was excused D. but she excused him
35. — _______ you ______ your new neighbour?
— Not so far.
A. Have, met B. Do, meet C. Did, meet D. Will, meet
36. Which of the following sentences is NOT right?
A. Are either of the teams playing this week?
B. Is either of the teams playing this week?
C. Are both of the teams playing this week?
D. Is both of the teams playing this week?
37. Tom was made ______ his own clothes by his mother.
A. wash B. washed C. to wash D. washing
38. The three months of spring in China are ________.
A. December, January and February B. March, April and May
C. January, February and March D. February, March and April
39. _________, the stronger the wind is.
A. The brighter the sun is B. The harder it is raining
C. The colder the weather is D. The faster the air is moving
40. The earth is my mother. The farmer is my father. I am as white as snow. Without water I can't grow. My home is in the south. There I feed (喂养)every mouth. What am I?
A. Milk B. Cotton. C. Bread. D. Rice
When it was over 20 years ago, I first met Mr Andrews, my old headmaster. During the war (战争) I was studying at school in the north of England. My 41 had just returned to London, and there were not 42 schools left for children. my father had to go from one school to another, trying to 43 them to take me as a pupil. We had 44 to all the schools near our home, but no one would take me. 45 , we went to a school about five kilometers 46 form home. The headmaster kept us waiting for at least 47 . I could hear boys playing on the playground outside.
When the headmaster's secretary (秘书) let us 48 his office, Mr Andrews said," 40 do you want to come here?" I had 50 of saying something about studying, 51 now I couldn't remember anything, only thought of the boys playing outside. " I don't know 52 in London, " I said. "I'd like to play with 53 boys. I'll read a lot of books, too." " All right," Mr Andrews said. "We have one seat 54 ." My two years at that school were 55 the happiest of my life.
41. A. school B. family C. friends D. parents
42. A. good B. helpful C. cheap D. enough
43. A. make B. hope C. ask D. let
44. A. been B. gone C. walked D. got
45. A. In the end B. at first C. At once D. By then
46. A. far B. away C. back D. down
47. A. a while B. a minute C. an hour D. a day
48. A. in B. to C. inside D. into
49. A. What B. When C. Why D. How
50. A. remembered B. thought C. found D. heard
51. A. but B. and C. though D. so
52. A. anyone B. someone C. everyone D. no one
53. A. others B. other C. the others D. the other
54. A. more B. free C. each D. only
55. A. under B. inside C. above D. among
One day a lawyer's (律师) wife fell ill and he went to get a doctor. The doctor was glad to come to see the woman and to do what he could for her. But before he went into the house he stopped. He knew it was known to all that the lawyer would not pay others when he should. So he said to the man, "But if I do cure (治愈) your wife I am afraid you won't pay me."
"Sir," said the lawyer," here I have $ 500. whether you cure my wife or whether you kill her I will give you all this."The doctor was reassured and went into the house. When he got into the woman's bedroom it soon became clear to him that he could do little. She was seriously ill. Though he gave her some medicine, she soon died.He told the lawyer he was very sorry. Then he asked for the money, because the lawyer had promised to give it to him.
"Did you kill my wife?" said the doctor.
"Of course I didn't," said the doctor.
"Well, did you cure my wife?" asked the man.
"I'm afraid that was not possible," answered the doctor.
"Well then, since you neither killed her nor cured her I have nothing to pay you."
56. Before the doctor went into the house he stopped because he knew________.
A. the lawyer was a famous man B. the lawyer was not very friendly
C. it was not possible to cure the lawyer's wife D. the lawyer was famous for not paying for not paying for what he should
57. Because the lawyer's wife was seriously ill the doctor_______.
A. did a lot to save her B. stayed there for a short time
C. found it not possible to cure her D. did not examine (检查)her at all
58. After the lawyer's wife died, the doctor got________.
A. no money at all B. paid as the lawyer had promised
C. as much as he should D. nothing but the money for the medicine
59. The word "reassured" in the passage means "__________"
A. eh was told again and again B. he was paid some money first
C. he was quite sure that he would be paid D. he was quite sure that he could cure the woman
60. Which of the following is the best title (标题)for the passage?
A. The Lawyer and His Wife B. The Lawyer's Trick
C. A Good Doctor and a Poor Lawyer D. A Serious Illness
careful and careless are as different as fire and water. But it is strange that quite a few scientists have both these qualities (品质). They are both careful and careless. Newton, the famous English scientist, was such a person.
Once Newton invited a friend to dinner at home. When they were ready to eat, Newton left to get a bottle of wine (洒). But after his friend had waited for a long time, Newton still didn't come back. At last his friend found Newton in his lab. When Newton was going to get the bottle of wine, he suddenly had a new idea for his experiment (实验). So he quite forgot his friend and the dinner. Another time, Newton was leading a horse up a mountain, and held the rein (缰绳) in his hand. While he was walking, he kept thinking about problems. When he got to the top of the mountain, he found that the rein was not in his hand and that the horse was gone.
Einstein was another example. Once he was waiting for a friend at a bridge. While waiting, he became lost in thought. It started to rain. The rain kept on for some time. When he took out a piece of paper to write something down, the paper was wet and then he knew that it was raining. But after he put the paper into his pocket, he attain forgot he was standing in the rain.
61. When Newton and his friend were ready to eat, Newton_______.
A. had a new idea for his experiment B. went to do his experiment
C. couldn't find his way back D. left to get a bottle of wine
62. Why was the horse gone when Newton got to the top of the mountain?
A. He kept thinking about problems and lost the rein.
B. He was not friendly to the horse.
C. He didn't walk fast enough.
D. The horse lost its way.
63. Which of the following sentences is true?
A. Einstein kept thinking in the rain.
B. Einstein stopped thinking because of the rain
C. Einstein would like to wait for his friend in the rain.
D. The rain helped Einstein keep thinking.
64. Newton and Einstein were careless about their _____- and careful in their_______.
A. experiments, studies B. life, studies C. studies, life D. work, life
65. _______ scientists are both careful and careless like Newton and Einstein.
A. No other B. Very few C. Many D. All
66. — Does Mr Green live in a _________?
— No. He lives in a small ________.
67. — It's ten to _______. We'd better hurry.
— The _________ is five minutes slow. We still have fifteen minutes.
68. There are many ______- of great _________ in China.
69. The small beautiful tree was all _______ with _______-lights.
70. His wife ________ found and looked at him in great________.
71. — What food do you like best?
— I like ________ best of all.
72. He put his __________ rond his mother and walked her to the car.
73. Martin began to work here the _________ before last.
74. She smiled at me as she ________ the gate.
75. He _________ heavily form others to start his new business.
76. A. There is only one tomato in my bag.
B. How ________ ________ _______ there in _________ bag?
77. A. You gave me so much help. How kind you are!
C. _________ ______ ________ to help me a lot.
78. A. Ma Lili and Mary were born in the same year.
B Ma Lili ______ ________ ______ Mary.
79. A. The chimney was built over fifty years ago.
B. The chimney ______ ______ there for ________ _______ fifty years.
80. A. — Mike: I like cats very much, but I hate dogs.
— Mary: So do I .
B. ________ Mike ________ Mary_______ cats ________ dogs.
Dick and Mike, both eleven years old, went out one morning to sell cakes. Dick's mother had t 81 Dick, "Now, take these twelve cakes and sell t 82 , five cents (分)each. Don't e 83 any of them and don't give them to your friends."
Mike's mother had said the s 84 thing to Mike. But two hours later, Mike had sold o 85 one cake, and he was getting hungry. Suddenly he had an I 86 . He could use the money to buy one of Dick's cakes.
Dick was just as h 87 as Mike. He at once used the same money to buy one of Mike's cakes. And that was how it went for the rest (剩余部分)of the morning u 88 all the cakes were gone.
81.__________ 82._________ 83. __________ 84. ____________
85. ___________ 86. __________ 87. __________ 88. _______
关键词语：pick, climb, carry, lift, hard
参考词语：high, ladder, full, truck, tired, happy
Now we are working on the farm.
Ⅰ.句子理解 01-05 CBACB
Ⅱ.情景反应 06-10 ACCBA
Ⅲ.篇章理解 11-15 BCAAC
16-20 ABDBC 21-25 BBCCD 26-30 AADBC 31-35 BADCA 36-40 DCDDD
41-45 BDCAA 46-50 BCDCB 51-55 AADBD
56-60 DCACB 61-65 DAABC
66. city, village 67. eight, clock 68. places, interest 69.covered, Christmas 70. turned, surprise
71. fish 72. arm 73. June 74. passed 75. borrowed
76. many tomatoes are, your 77. It’s kind of you / You’re so kind as
78. is as old as 79. has been (stood), more than (at least)
80. Both, and, prefer, to / Either, or, prefer(s), to
81. told 82. them 83. eat 84. same 85. only 86. idea 87. hungry 88. until
Possible version A:
Now we are working on the farm. We are picking apples (oranges). Some of the apples are too high for us to reach, and we have to climb up the trees. Han Meimei is climbing up the ladder, and Li Mei is holding it. Soon the baskets are full of apples. Some of us are carrying the baskets of apples. Some are lifting them on to the trucks. We are all working hard. We are very tired, but we are happy. (70 words)
Possible version B:
Now we are working on the farm. We are picking apples (oranges). Han Meimei is climbing the ladder. Some of us are carrying the baskets (apples). Some are lifting them on to the trucks. We are all working hard. (30 words)